This week took a very weird turn on Wednesday evening. If you saw Auction Watch #125 early on Thursday morning then you simply saw five pictures. That’s because I didn’t have the time, energy, or desire to finish the write-up. Why? The house kitty-corner to my parents blew-up. Here’s a local link to the story, and a video:
That’s why you’re getting the Epilogue on Saturday and not Friday this week. My parents aren’t allowed back into their home yet, so please bear with any additional delays until everything gets figured out. But enough about that, let’s have some fun.First of all, I have never seen this before. I’m not even quite sure what it is. It looks like something that would have been given to retailers, but for what purpose? It essentially directs the reader back to the catalog. The seller seems to have the for a fair number of Mattel toys, including He-Man. Was it a mailer from Mattel to various stores? A paper version of an email reminder? Very strange.
This week also featured a great post from Jimmy (ironmask) of IRONHAUS Productions. It’s one of those posts that has you nodding and thinking, “Right on. This guy’s taking the words right out of my mouth.”
Many times I have said (or thought) of the quote attributed to Gandhi, “Be the change you want to see.” I know I’ve tried to do that in the M.U.S.C.L.E. community (and in my daily life). I find myself routinely disappointed. Just yesterday I read an article, Price-fixing probe may widen; suppliers uneasy, and it made me think of M.U.S.C.L.E. collecting. If there is money to be made, then greed will quickly win out. People will shift their morals, values, and perspectives to rationalize their behavior.
But then something restores your faith and makes it easier to keep being the change you want to see. I received an email from someone that was sending me one of the last 15 figures I need. I was speechless. I am speechless.
But that person’s beyond gracious help is a tangible reminder that is even stronger than words. It’s a tangible reminder that there is a group of great M.U.S.C.L.E. collectors out there that want to have fun, help other people, and refuse to pretend they are the magnate of an imaginary M.U.S.C.L.E. empire. The collectors that want to positively collect can’t change everything for the better. Hopefully they can create a group of collectors that more and more people will want to emulate and view as the “norm.”
- Normally a $0.99 auction gets some love. Not this time.
- 51 figures.
- Nice bootlegs, but I only have eyes for the FLAF.
- 120 Flesh figures.
- Color poster in seemingly really good shape. I have to give credit on the pricing too. Given the condition it’s a pretty tempting price, but it seems just a little bit high for a poster – but that’s really a perfect BIN price for the seller. I don’t know that I would pay it, but I can’t really knock it. Nicely done.
- There should be a community meme for nearly complete sets.
- 121 Color and Flesh figures.
- It’s been some time since a gratuitous SC auction, but this starter better than most.
- 11 days to go on this Kickstarter. If you help, is it called, “Giving it a kick?”
- Easiest way to the Epilogue? Start low.
- Three auctions from this cat. All from starting low.
- I’m always tempted to buy these lots and force Nate to make a nativity scene out of it.
- How many people clicked this to double check the color?
- What would this lot need for you to pay that price?
- Satan Cross 4-pack. Makes me want to make up a story about #180.
- An awesome Sunshine lot, but the 8-incher is the best one.
- Just in case I haven’t said it yet, “Fuck this guy.”
- I just started reading something from Dan O’Brien, has anyone read him before?
Asshole of the Week. Fine Pedobear-watermark seller, you’re going to clog up eBay with your auctions. And fine you are going to totally over charge for your figures. I could look the other way. But now you’re adding “RARE” to the descriptions?!?! That’s it. You are the Asshole of the Week, and I think that’s saying something this week!
The video above could have justifiably been the Video of the Week, but this video reminded me of my youngest. He’s a notoriously terribly sleeper. During some of his pre-bedtime meltdowns I consider going to get milk and cigarettes and never coming back. Strangely, when it’s not your kid – it’s kind of cute and easy to watch.
And don’t forget about the OMFG discount that is ending quite soon!